In its home country of Germany, the hot dog was called the frankfurter. It was named 16 Frankfurt, a German city.
Frankfurters were first 17 in the United States in 18 . Americans called frankfurters "dachshund sausages"(达克思香肠).A dachshund is a dog from Germany 19 a very long body and short legs. Dachshund sausages first 20 popular in New York, 21 at baseball games. At games they were sold by men 22 kept them 23 in hot-water tanks.
As the men walked 24 the rows of people , they yelled , "Get your dachshund sausages ! Get your hot dachshund sausages !
" People got the sausages on 25 , a special bread.
26 in 1906 a newspaper cartoonist 27 Tad Dorgan went to a baseball game. 28 he saw the men with the dachshund
sausages, he got an idea 29 a cartoon. The next day at the newspaper office he 30 a bun with a dachshund inside ---31 a dachshund sausage,
32 a dachshund. Dorgan 33 how to spell dachshund . Under the cartoon, he wrote "Get your hot dogs !"
The cartoon was a sensation(轰动) , and 34 .If you go to a baseball game today, you can still see sellers walking 35with hot-water tanks. As they walk up and down the rows they yell.
"Get your hot dogs here! Get your hot dogs !"
16. A . with B. after C. by D. of
17. A. got B. sold C. bought D. make
18. A. the 1860s B. 1860's C. the 1860 D. 1865s
19. A. by B. of C. at D. with
20. A. gained B. stayed C. became D. were turned
21. A. special B. especially C. certainly D. surely
22. A. those B. which C. what D. who
23. A. cool B. hot C. warm D. cold
24. A. sometimes B. up and down C. someday D. here and there
25. A. buns B. the tops C. coffee D. chocolates
26. A. A day B. Any day C. Certain D. One day
27. A. who is B. was C. was called D. named
28. A. When B. While C. If D. Whether
29. A. to B. as C. with D. for
30. A. called B. made C. drew D. bought
31. A. no B. without C. not D. for
32. A. except B. but C. and D. except for
33. A. didn't know B. wonders C. was sure D. never knows
34. A. so the new name was B. so is the cartoonist
C. so was the new name D. the new name was so
35. A. over B. around C. fast D. all day
上一页       下一页